[GMG-Devel] Migrating from transifex (bis)

Ineiev ineiev at gnu.org
Mon Nov 17 15:26:35 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 11:11:02AM -0600, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:

> This seems like a lot of manual work... I worry that we are going to hit
> a workflow regression where we are depending on a process to get things
> updated and this becomes difficult or takes a long time.
>
> Previously the process was:
>  1) Someone would request a new language on Transifex
>  2) I get an email about this
>  3) I log onto Transifex and press a button
>  4) The new language is supported (and added the next time we pull down)

I see. on Pootle, you could allow "default" (that is, any logged in)
user administrate mediagoblin, which means that they'll be able to
add and remove languages. I could setup a cron job that would check
for new languages and initialise PO files for them in the working copy
on chapters.gnu.org; Pootle users then would be able to edit those
translations, and those PO files would show up when pulled from Pootle.

In other words,

1) Someone adds a new language on Pootle and starts working on it;
2) Eventually, a developer runs devtools/update_translations.sh
   which adds new translations to GIT.

> Even this was not ideal, because sometimes it could take a couple weeks
> for me to get to #3 if I was particularly busy (though if someone pinged
> me on IRC, I would usually address it immediately).
>
> It seems like the new process will be:
>  1) Someone wants a new language in Transifex... where do they file the
>     request?

Er.. I thought the intention was to replace Transifex. I think
I misunderstood something. perhaps somebody should clarify
what we are going to get.