[GMG-Devel] Invitation to contribute to a book of decentralized FLOSS for communities

Samer samer at fdi.ucm.es
Tue Aug 11 18:49:55 EDT 2015

Hi,

This is an invitation to the GNU Media Goblin project, to submit an
abstract (750
words) for a book on the use of decentralized FLOSS for communities. We
believe you are doing great work and we’d love to have your thoughts on
this project as part of this compilation. See below for details.

Despite of the decentralized origins of the Internet, with the arrival of
the Web 2.0, centralized and proprietary platforms, typically controlled by
corporations, have progressively taken over the web. This centralized
architecture can be used by governments to increase surveillance (as we
have discovered following the Snowden’s revelations), to blackout the
Internet (e.g. Egypt, Syria, or San Francisco’s BART) or to choke activist
organizations (such as Wikileaks). Yet, in the last few years, we have seen
the emergence of Internet-enabled collaborative communities building shared
libre/open resources. Commons-based Peer Production (CBPP) is rapidly
growing: not just for software and encyclopedias, but also for information
(OpenStreetMap, Wikihow), hardware (FabLabs, Open Source Ecology),
accommodation (Couchsurfing) and currency (Bitcoin, Altcoins). In the last
few years, it has become clear to many that it is not enough to develop
free/libre/open source (FLOSS) alternatives, but that we also need to
re-decentralize
the Internet. These new software tools may also be useful to boost CBPP
communities further.

>From this vision, we decided to organise the FLOSS4P2P workshop
<http://www.p2pvalue.eu/2nd-floss4p2p-workshop> (@Fablab London, supported
by P2Pvalue <http://p2pvalue.eu/>), which gathered a wide spectrum of
people working on decentralized FLOSS projects that could help or support
the activities of peer production communities.

Following the workshop success
<http://p2pvalue.eu/floss4p2p-workshop-agenda> and in collaboration with
the Institute of Network Cultures <http://networkcultures.org/>, we would
like to prepare a book (on the model of the former MoneyLab Inc Reader
<http://networkcultures.org/blog/publication/moneylab-reader-an-intervention-in-digital-economy/>)
showing the great amount of decentralized FLOSS options. This initiative is
open also to those who couldn’t make it to the workshop. Since you are
working on an outstanding or particularly interesting decentralized FLOSS
project, we would like to ask you to:

   -

   Write (and/or draw!) something. E.g. a story, a sci-fi tale, a
   comicstrip, a manifesto, a critical essay, an interview, a study, a poem, a
   conversation, a debate, a combination of the former…we invite you to
   experiment and surprise us!
   -

   On how your decentralized FLOSS is useful for communities. Think of
   grassroots communities, commons-based, P2P, online or offline or mixed,
   think of wikis, makers, activists, hacktivists, free culture, citizen
   science, couchsurfers...
   -

   Try to write something that will encourage non-technical readers to
   adopt your platform/FLOSS project, or that will inspire them to think
   about its social/economical/political/legal implications.
   -

   We do not want an advertisement for your project, but rather an
   interesting story, a manifesto, a discussion of the positive and negative
   consequences of the project, its social/practical uses by these
   communities, etc. We definitely do not want (boring) academic papers.

We invite you to submit an initial abstract (max. 750w; count each image as
200w, if any) explaining your idea by September 15, 2015.

We’ll select the more compelling ideas to write an extended version for the
book, to be published on 2016.

If you have further questions about the expected contents, format, etc. do
not hesitate to let us know. We look forward to hear about your ideas!

Samer Hassan

David Rozas
Primavera De Filippi