[Userops] Antonio Terceiro's DebConf talk on packaging free software web applications

Carl Karsten carl at nextdayvideo.com
Tue Aug 25 10:39:15 EDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2015 9:58 AM, "Antonio Terceiro" <terceiro at debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 10:22:53AM -0700, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> > > I was super impressed by this talk.
> >
> > Thank you (and Christopher) for the feedback.
> >
> > > One thing I realized today, a few days after seeing the talk (on
> Saturday)
> > > is:
> > >
> > > I wonder if a lot of the config can be done, rather than by chef
> scripts
> > > mutating files on-disk, by passing environment variables to the app.
> That
> > > way, hopefully, the environment variables can store site-specific
> details,
> > > similar to how Heroku describes "12 factor apps": http://12factor.net/
> > >
> > > If that's unclear, let me know and I can try to say more. I'm curious
> what
> > > you think, Antonio.
> >
> > I think we will always need to generate config files in some way or
> > another, because even if the applications do use environment variables
> > for configuration, we will still need to configure the web server (or
> > systemd unit files etc), to actuallty pass those environment variables
> > in.
>
> Why not have the default configuration set to use them?

+1

I have heard this for years, and only a month ago learned why this makes
more sense than the 100 other options:

config management and deployment tools all know how to manage custom
environment vars and because everything can use them there is lots of
development focused on that.

As opposed to Carl's nifty config.py that is a bunch of dicts that I edit
by hand because no one has built a tool to automate it.